The original Norton Company was formed by James Lansdowne Norton at 320, Bradford Street, Birmingham, in 1898. In 1902, Norton began building motorcycles with French and Swiss engines. In 1907, a Norton ridden by Rem Fowler won the twin-cylinder class in the first Isle of Man TT race, beginning a sporting tradition that went on until the 1960s. The first Norton engines were made in 1907, with production models available from 1908. These were the 3.5 bhp (490 cc) and the 'Big four' (633cc), this began a line of side-valve single-cylinder engines, which continued with few changes until the late 1950s.
This good looking Norton 500T is a pleasant example of the type of bike Geoff Duke won the 1950 Victory Trial on. This Birmingham classic is supplied to auction with a V5C registration certificate and is offered at no reserve.